More than just a cooking or eating area, the kitchen is the most used place in your house, so you want to make it more as functional as possible. Spaciousness, airiness, organized arrangement are considerable conditions for a good kitchen design. And there is no wonder that a kitchen island does all well. It not only spread out the workspace, provides valuable storage space, but also creates an ideal entertaining extension.
Start with a definition
What is a kitchen island? It is an additional area where you can cook, eat, chat with your friends, play with your children, or even set up your mood. In fact, it doubles the workspace along with the countertop while contributing to a supplemental dining zone. Also, including a cabinet or shelve, it will throw the mess out of your kitchen. Come in many types of the island such as mobile carts, built-in galley, L-shape, U-shape,… you get dozen of choices to remodel depend on your desire and kitchen design.
There is no rule about the island’s dimension; it’s very flexible as long as it doesn’t occupy too much area and ensure that people are able to access from all sides.
When it comes to renovating a kitchen, you can not ignore an island. And this is answers:
- As mentioned earlier, the island supply extra work surface and additional storage. If you spend plenty of time in your kitchen, maybe you have trouble with room space. Therefore, you can add cabinets, drawers, and shelves underneath the island to store kitchen utensils, large jars, wine rack, or anything you want to hide. Besides, you will have a comfortable space to prepare the meal, read a new recipe, and more.
- An island is a suitable place to cast a prep sink, stove, or other appliances that increases your kitchen’s functionality.
- If you are always obsessed with a lack of seating in the kitchen, an island is an excellent solution. Not only provide a place for people to sit while eating or hang out but also create a logical position for kids doing their homework.
- Another integral benefit is to stand out the overall style of the kitchen. It makes your kitchen attractive, luxurious, and amazes any guest. With a beautiful flower vase, a wine-rack, or simply a basket of fruits, your kitchen will get a lot of advantages.
Designing a kitchen island may be confusing for many people. If you don’t want to have a mistake, you should make a plan carefully. Firstly, imagine you’re in the kitchen and ask yourself about what is the function of your dreamy island? (cooking, meal prep, eating, entertaining?) How is the kitchen’s dimension? How many appliances will you put? Or do you need additional storage space? Then focus on three main factors about space, seating, and function.
- Space: Consider the space around the island so that it leaves a comfortable aisle. The perfect distance between cabinets and the island is 42- 48 inches while for stool and countertop is at least 10-inches. If you have decided to hang a pendant light over the island, 30 inches of the gap is a good idea.
- Seating: Think about the type of chair you will choose: bar height stool, dining chair, or counter chair. In a standard island, you can place three to fours chair but keep in mind that the width for each stool or chair is 24 inches. If you like bar stools, the height of the counter should be 36-42 inch but 42 inches will give more comfort. To provide nice spaces under the island, you can not go wrong with 18 inches of depth. However, 12 or 15 inches also work well in your demand.
- Function: If you plan to put a sink, you’ll need more space. And a center faucet will compliment your establishment. Adding lower cabinets or a hood over your stove can enhance the value of the island.
Kitchen island ideas
Your kitchen is truly the heart of your house, with an enough large space, there is no better than an island for both structural and practical. Choosing the type of island from materials, shapes, styles to colors is critical, so you must understand your kitchen and refer to the different concepts.
Now, you’re ready to discover a variety of styles of the island. No matter what you looking for, these ideas will offer you plenty of inspiration.
The harmony combination of colors and textures, this design brings charm and whimsy feel. Using marble stone for making countertop while surely adding a rustic vibe by putting four wooden bar stools along with a wooden base. It doesn’t add any appliance to keep the workspace as much as clean and large.
Offer a fresh and breakthrough looking with a unique structure. Break up the island into two areas that have different heights in the same color tone. One of them equipped a stove on the surface and the hood over for more functional. At the same time, another just is an extensive supplement where you can eat, read or watch the cook.
A mobile kitchen island cart is a useless and timeless tendency. It’s easy to move around the kitchen, expand the space when you need. Just remember that lock the wheel to stop any motion, come with a small anti-slip mat under wheels can increase the effectively grip.
With a moderate marble-top island and a neutral palette, this option is perfect for a modern and chic house. Combine fully additional storage such as drawers, cabinets, shelves, you not only get more space to store kitchen items but also showcase novelty decoration ideas.
As a dining area, feature granite-top island and dark wooden cabinets that blend with existing decoration in good feel. Add dining height chair and two pendant light to make a perfect compliment.
How about this kitchen island? Red bar stools create a super accent while geometric textures on the base capture your eyes in a flash. On the other hand, two functional zones provide an interesting experience as when you stay at bars.
A matt-faucet and contrast empty vase on the reflective surface is a simple way to spice up your kitchen. Mix two main materials: marble stone and wood together in an airy space illuminated by natural light. It’s an ideal place for relaxing and reading.
Very stylish, modern and clean. Bring a balanced feeling between architecture and decoration to attract all of looking. Metal cages of pendant light create an illusion of illumination that supplements perfectly with simple island design. Moreover, a single faucet in the center makes an accent as a cherry on the top.